If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Audio Book Review: Hot Blooded By Amanda Carlson

Hot Blooded
(Jessica McClain #2)
By Amanda Carlson


Length: 10 hrs and 15 mins

It hasn't been the best week for Jessica McClain.
Her mate has been kidnapped by a Goddess hell-bent on revenge --- but Jessica is playing for keeps.

Because she's the only female werewolf in town...it comes with its own set of rules...and powers.

Aided by two vamps, two loyal Pack members, and one very reluctant human, Jessica must rescue her man while coming to terms with what being a wolf really means.

All in a day's work for a girl.

The second novel in the Jessica McClain series is a full on action adventure featuring one angry Goddess and plenty of monsters, demons, and a few newly risen beasties..
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo |

Check Out The Other Books In this Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

*This is a review of the audio book.

I just realized that I hate it when a FULL book is dedicated to finding one specific character because of a certain reason. It usually ends up being a book that drags on and on and by the end you want to speed read just to get it over with. That's how this book felt.

I loved Jessica, but it seemed like every IMPOSSIBLE obstacle they encountered, she unknowingly became the solution. It got to a point where I was guessing what would happen next and there's no fun reading a predictable book. Don't even get my started on all the internal monologs that occurred right in the middle of action scenes and/or when the villain started yapping about his/her plans. Had I had the book in hand I would have skipped over those completely. Also everything came WAY too easily to her. She didn't struggle to harness her "power" or how to use it. I get she's supposed to be an all powerful being, but even fledging all powerful beings need time to learn what they're capable of.

Rouke was barely a part of this book. If you've read Book #1 you'll know why. The only purpose he served in this book however was to be beg and plead for Jessica the "get out" or "go" and leave him there. That got old by the first 5 minutes. Jessica had come to save him and all he could do was tell her to go? How about (in his seconds of lucidity) he tell her something about the villain that no one knows or what could defeat her?

Two characters that stood out to me (this time around) was Danny and Naomi. I loved them both for different reasons. Danny because of his wise cracks that certainly helped the book move along after a fight or scary situation. Naomi because even though she appeared demure and placid she turned out to be stronger then her brother and had the metaphorical balls to stick it to the man (in this case: the queen).

It feels like the author feels the need to put ridiculous obstacles for the characters to over come just so she can get another book out. You know what? I wouldn't object if Jessica and her group had 2 days to themselves without getting attacked, threatened or fought over. It's just too much action. I need a brake. I want to see the characters interacting between themselves when everyones lives aren't at risk.

The Audio Book:

I loved that they changed the narrator!! Therese Plummer made a much better voice for the male character's then the narrator in Book #1. Though she used the same tone of voice for 3 character's and  I found myself getting lost in some dialogs. Also she forgot Rouke's accent, it's described in Book #1 as a mix of an african accent with another (I don't remember - Sorry!). So imagine my surprise when someone started talking and at the end she read Rouke. I wasn't disappointed though. I hated his accent in Book #1.

My Rating:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...