If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, October 27, 2017

My Ramblings: Cover Look-A-Likes & Why They Aren't The Smart Choice

Cover Look-A-Likes & Why They
Aren't The Smart Choice

I can't be the only one that hates cover look-a-likes. I've ranted about this in a few other posts over the years and my opinion hasn't changed. I'm of the mindset that creativity and originally will get you far in life. I don't understand why so many books (indie and traditionally published) use virtually the same stock photos. 

There are so many possibilities (with the same photo) when you use a photo editor and most don't even bother doing that. The modeling industry is not dying, so why are so many using the same photo of the same person in the same position all the time?

The only reason I've gotten so bothered by this in the last few years is because I usually reference the cover (when there is a model present) when I picture the heroine/hero. When I read books that have the same photo on it, my mind translates the second novel as a "counterfeit" to the original/first-to-me novel. I hope that makes sense. That automatically makes me go into the second novel prejudging it by the cover and end up nitpicking it apart and regretting my choice to pick it up in the first place.

The point I'm trying to make with all that rambling is that a picture is worth a thousand words and it's what most people, at first glance, will judge your book on. If it's something they've seen in 50 other books, your book has a smaller chance of standing out. I think that spending a little more on an original well designed cover and editing is worth it in the long haul.

Have you noticed this cover "trend" in the past?
Do you like it?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...